2 inmates killed in Nebraska prison revolt identified

2 inmates killed in Nebraska prison revolt identified

Inmates Damon Fitzgerald and Michael Galindo were found dead Thursday after a group of about 40 inmates seized control of part of a Tecumseh State Correctional Institute housing unit. "The (prison) staff handled the situation extremely well, which limited the incident to a small number of participants and minimal damage".

Mike Marvin, who heads the union that represents corrections employees, said he was told that inmates had taken mattresses out into the prison yard and threw them into the fire.

While Galindo was serving a 12 to 21 year sentence for Attempted Possession of a Controlled Substance and Driving under Suspension.

Fitzgerald, 39, was serving 310 to 470 years for first-degree sexual assault, use of a deadly weapon to commit a felony, burglary and third-degree assault on a peace officer.

The disturbance started with a fire in the unit that afternoon, according to the Nebraska Department of Correctional.

A department spokeswoman said an emergency response team secured the inmates and extinguished a fire in a prison yard.

Smith announced the lockdown around 2:45 p.m. and said around 5:30 p.m. that the housing unit was "habitable and secure". The incident is isolated to one half of a housing unit and there is no risk to the public.

Nebraska State Patrol investigations led to charges in the previous riot. The prison was placed on lockdown for several hours. "The public's safety was never compromised". "And so, if they continue to make bad choices we're going to have to respond to them". Matt Hansen, of Lincoln.

He said that some of the same conditions that spawned the 2015 riot - overcrowding and lack of rehabilitation programs - still exist in the state prison system.

State Sen. Dan Watermeier of Syracuse, whose district includes the prison, commended the prison staff's response.

"We've seen so many improvements over the past year and a half and I am proud of my team", said Tecumseh Warden Brad Hansen.

On May 10, 2015, the maximum-security prison on the outskirts of Tecumseh in Johnson County was the scene of a riot that lasted two days and left two inmates beaten to death and two others injured.

As for Thursday's incident, Corrections Director Scott Frakes said he would not call it a riot.

Eventually, between 100 and 200 inmates set fires and vandalized housing units.